Since 1979, SOMArts has been a hub for the Bay Area’s unique blend of experimentation, creativity, and social consciousness. SOMArts leverages the power of art as a tool for social change through multi-disciplinary events and exhibitions. Equipping artists with the space, mentorship and support they need to shift perspectives and innovate solutions, SOMArts fosters access to arts and culture for collective liberation and self-determination
SOMArts is seeking a creative and enthusiastic Graphic Design Intern to join our team. The Graphic Design Intern plays an integral role in communicating the narrative and identity of the organization through design.
- Collaborate with Community Engagement and Impact Manager to lead visual design and creative experiential thinking across a variety of projects
- Assist Community Engagement and Impact Manager in research, ideation and development of original, scalable concepts and experiences
- Work dynamically with SOMArts Staff to identify design needs, inform timelines and adjust resourcing
- Research and prepare documents to communicate ideas to supporters, including proposals, presentations and reports
- Build print and digital assets in support of gallery exhibitions and campaigns
- Support SOMArts Staff in understanding opportunities and limitations in print and build techniques and materials
- Prepare design files for print and online delivery, ensuring all deliverables are on time and carefully exported to output specifications
- Inspire creativity, new ideas, and big thinking throughout team
- Recently graduated or currently enrolled student in Graphic Design undergraduate program
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (i.e Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop)
- Ability to clearly communicate and present ideas and designs, set priorities and meet deadlines
- Highly organized with great attention to detail
- Project management skills preferred
- Work effectively in independent and team settings
- Knowledge in typography and layout design
- Respectful and professional attitude; receptive to feedback
- Genuine interest and curiosity in contemporary arts and Bay Area arts communities
EXPECTATIONS & TIME REQUIREMENTS
- All internships are unpaid. This is not a design training internship, but rather an opportunity for interns to develop their design skills and portfolio in the real world environment.
- This internship offers a flexible schedule with a required three-month commitment, 10 hours per week
- The intern will be required for Intern-Supervisor meetings and project check in.
- Ability to work in the SOMArts office and/or remotely off-site
- Network with other artists, curators and community members of SOMArts while building a striking body of work
- Complimentary access to ticketed events and performances at SOMArts
- Designs will be shared across SOMArts’ website and social media accounts, and may also be sent to press or included in graphic designs for web or print.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply online with our Graphic Design Internship Application Form. If you’ve got any questions about the internship, please feel free to contact the Community Engagement and Impact Manager, Dominic Cheng via email at [email protected]
Applications deadline: Friday, May 31, 2019
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
SOMArts fosters a creative and professional environment that reflects the diversity of San Francisco. We actively recruit a wide pool of applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national orientation, ethnicity, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation gender or political affiliation.