Artwork by Juana Alicia (piece in “CARAVANA” exhibition, fiscally sponsored by SOMArts Feb 2021)
We Hear You Guatemala/Te Oimos Guatemala, 1984. Photograph by Nicole Emanuel, Image courtesy of the artist
For over a decade, SOMArts has provided administrative support and financial oversight to a small, thoughtfully selected group of emerging not-for-profit organizations and projects ranging from a few thousand to more than one million dollars in annual activity. SOMArts’ fiscal sponsorship program ensures funding agencies and contributors that funds received on behalf of sponsored projects are well-managed and disbursed according to the grant proposal and guidelines.
SOMArts provides two models of fiscal sponsorship: Model A and Model C. For Model Cs, our management fee is competitive at just 8%-9% of all income raised by the project. Because Model A services also include employee management and insurance coverage, our management fee is 10%.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Grant submissions and fundraising can begin only after a project has been approved.
SOMArts will consider projects for fiscal sponsorship if they are:
- Aligned with SOMArts’ mission to leverage the power of art as a tool for social change, including projects of all artistic disciplines as well as community-based art projects
- Serious in intent and well-planned
- Showing potential for future growth and development
- Led by individuals with a history of successfully executing creative work and managing budgets effectively (mentoring is also provided to improve upon these skills)
If you have questions about our program before applying, please email [email protected] and we’ll respond as quickly as possible.
Fiscal sponsorship benefits:
- Sponsorship of grant applications and administration of grant funds and individual donor contributions
- Monitoring of expenditures to ensure they are in keeping with original funding proposals, contracts or funding letters
- Staff consultation on writing of grants and final reports to funders
- Discounts on rehearsal and meeting space in SOMArts’ classrooms
Current Projects Include:
- The Leather and LGBTQ Cultural District
- Arts for a Better Bay Area
- The Box Shop
- Flaming Lotus Girls
- Moments (QTBIPOC Co-op Bookstore and Community Space)
- MACRO WAVES
CONNECT WITH US