Job Title: Scene Technician, Audiovisual
Reports to: Director of Facilities and Technical Operations, Master Technician
Hours and Location: Variable, based on institutional and production needs. SOMArts Cultural Center is located at 934 Brannan St. in San Francisco.
Under supervision of the Director of Technical Operations and Master Technician, Scenic Technicians at SOMArts Cultural Center assist in implementing technical elements and general staging required by rental events and internal programming.
We seek a trustworthy, dependable and personable Audio Visual Technician to ensure accurate and safe execution of audiovisual equipment setup and operation in addition to general scenic technician duties.
Scene Technicians are supervised by SOMArts Facilities and Technical Operations administration. Availability to work nights and weekends is required.
- Correctly and appropriately installing, operating and maintaining audiovisual systems and their components.
- Testing, pulling, and troubleshooting equipment.
- Audio mixing console fundamentals and operation (house boards are in Midas and Presonus StudioLive families).
- Engineering for live music, live speaking, and general sound reinforcement fundamentals.
- Knowledge of appropriate microphone applications, usage, and fundamentals.
- Video for presentation fundamentals: basic video projector operation, basic video file cuing and video switching.
- Assisting clients, performers, and artists as needed.
- As event space is highly configurable, performing general on and off stage duties as needed such as scenic staging, general event set up, event restore, and strike.
- Maintaining storage areas in a clean and organized manner.
- Practicing and enforcing safe working habits and immediately reporting unsafe situations and conditions to supervisors. Proactively working to prevent accidents and manage risk levels in work areas.
- Interacting with clients, performers, artists, supervisors, and peers in a courteous and professional manner. Utilizing best communication practices to collaboratively solve problems and clarify instruction.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Understanding of audiovisual fundamentals and demonstrable knowledge of common audiovisual equipment.
- Demonstrable knowledge of stage electrical safety and best practices.
- Minimum of 2-3 years experience working in a fast-paced event production environment with an emphasis on AV.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to respond to work requests in a timely manner.
- Positive attitude and good interpersonal skills, with the ability to handle conflicts respectfully and professionally.
- A developed eye for detail and ability to complete tasks thoroughly and efficiently.
- Willingness to work alongside contemporary works of art and performances that present challenging and provocative subject matter.
- Staging experience and basic carpentry.
- Basic knowledge of stage rigging
- Basic knowledge of theatrical lighting equipment and safety.
- Aerial lift operation
- Frequently required to stand, walk, and sit.
- Frequently required to work at heights of up to 20’, must be comfortable working at elevated heights on ladders and personnel lifts.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to talk or hear.
Compensation: Nonexempt. $22/hour
Organizational Overview: SOMArts plays a vital role in the arts ecosystem by helping activate the arts citywide. We do this by providing space and production support for non-profit events, as well as fairs and festivals throughout the Bay Area, and offering a robust program of art exhibitions, classes, events and performances that are affordable and accessible to all.
SOMArts is beloved in San Francisco as a cross-cultural, community-built space where cutting-edge events and counterculture commingle with traditional art forms in a way that is open, engaging and inspiring. It is an incubator for ideas that lie outside the mainstream of contemporary art funding and consumption.
The South of Market Cultural Center is a 26,190 sq ft cultural center with two large performance/exhibition spaces, a flexible theater, a media lab, photography, ceramics and printmaking studios used on a weekly basis by professional artists, and four administrative offices.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Send a cover letter and resume to [email protected], Attn: Director of Facilities and Technical Operations. Subject: [YOUR LAST NAME], AV Technician. Position open until filled.
Please, no phone calls or faxes. Due to the volume of applications and our limited resources, we will respond only to applicants we intend to interview. If you receive our automated thank you, we have received your resume and there is no need to follow up.
Principals only. We do not accept resumes from third parties and we will not pay fees to any agency or firm. We wish you the best of luck in your job search!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
SOMArts fosters a creative and professional environment that reflects the diversity of San Francisco. We actively recruit a wide pool of applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national origin, ethnicity, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation, gender or political affiliation.
CONNECT WITH US